The television series is loosely adapted from a series of mystery novels by Swedish author Leif G.W. Persson, where the central character's name is Evert Bäckström..The appalling Evert Bäckström has also made it to TV in his native Sweden, in the dramatisation of Leif G.W. Persson's novel of the investigation of a certain Prime Minister's assassination, En Pilgrims Död (Death Of A Pilgrim) The original European incarnation can be seen on You-Tube, albeit in Swedish only. Here he was played by Claes Malmberg. All the novels are available in English translation.
The original novels in which Evert Bäckström features as a central character are:
- Linda, As In the Linda Murder (Linda - som i Lindamordet) 2005;
- He Who Kills The Dragon (Den som dödar draken) 2007;
- The Sword Of Justice (Den sanna historien om Pinocchios näsa) 2015.
- He is also a major, but not the central, character in The Dying Detective (Den döende Detektiven) 2016.
- Evert Bäckström is first introduced as a minor character (and black comedy relief) in the novel Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End - The Story of a Crime (Mellan sommarens längtan och vinterns köld), dramatised for TV as En Pilgrims Död.
- He also appears in the sequel Another Time, Another life (En annan tid, En annan liv)